January 22, 2009

Thursday 3: Juvenile Fiction

Someday I plan to write for kids. That's how I started writing seriously. I wrote a story intended to be a picture book. I was so green, I think I submitted it to a publisher without a cover letter. But it occurs to me that to make my mark in history, I should write something for kids. If a children's book becomes really popular, it never goes out of print. When kids grow up, they end up buying it for their kids.

Anyway, I went off on a tangent. I mean to give a list of three series that I have enjoyed.


1. The Vampire Plagues by Sebastian Rook. These were fantastic, historical fiction that was somewhat gruesome. But that's to be expected when you're dealing with vampires. My boys loved these books.



2. Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism, by Georgia Byng. How can you not buy this book when there's this wacky pug dog on the cover? While the book starts out with a cliche--an orphan in an orphange where she is unhappy--it veers away from that soon enough in unexpected twists and turns.

3. Lastly, there are the Artemis Fowl Books by Eoin Colfer. If you have boys, they must read these books. They've got Bond-like gadgets, magic, fart jokes, and a young anti-hero who is very flawed, but for who you can't help but root for.

Do you ever read children's fiction on your own? Got any recommendations for me?

6 comments :

  1. Love Harry Potter!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Phillip Pulman series that starts with The Golden Compass -- I think its official name is "His Dark Materials" -- is amazing. Don't let the bad movie steer you wrong. Pulman's imagination is astounding, and he's not afraid to go dark places. The themes might be too scary for younger kids, but the hard edge and honesty of it might appeal to cynical older kids.

    I credit him for making me decide to be a writer. I'm not sure why, because he's so good it's just plain intimidating, but shortly after finishing that series (not as a child, but just a few years ago) I decided to try writing.

    Evie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paige, I've read all the Harry Potter books and enjoyed most of them.

    Evie, thanks for the recommendation. I have seen that movie and didn't think it sucked, but then again, I had no prior experience with the material. I always think it's best to see a movie first and then read the "real thing." You're almost never disappointed that way, even if you might have been exposed to spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great series for boys is the Maximum Ride books by James Patterson. For girls, the Louise Rennison series that starts with Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging. It's kind of the YA version of Bridget Jones' Diary. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, we tried the Maximum Ride books and I hated them! I know hate is a strong word, but I couldn't stand his one page, half a page chapters. It drove me insane! I kept thinking, he'll give me something meaty next time. A scene that lasts more than two minutes. But NO. *shudders* Sorry, Jolie, we'll have to disagree on him. Great story, but his style killed it for me.

    And since I don't have girls, I haven't picked up too much female YA. :(

    ReplyDelete