February 12, 2009

Thursday 3: Valentine's Trivia

Only two more days until I Love You Day. I still haven't bought a Valentine card for The King. I think I'd better get one today before all the good ones are gone.

In the meantime, here are three little known facts about Valentine's Day that I thought were interesting.

1. In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve now means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling.

2. Only the U.S., Canada, Mexico, France, Australia and the U.K. celebrate Valentine's Day.

3. In the 17th century, a hopeful maiden ate a hard-boiled egg and pinned five bay leaves to her pillow before going to sleep on Valentine's eve. It was believed this would make her dream of her future husband.

2 comments :

  1. Interesting stuff, Kate. I love trivia!
    http://shirleymccann.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cool facts, Kate! I hope you and the King have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete