October 6, 2010

Spider Webs...Japanese Rope Bondage

Max, the hero of my novella Fit To Be Tied, is an entomologist who specializes in tarantulas and an aficionado of Japanese rope bondage, otherwise known as shibari. I think tarantulas are fascinating and I liked the subtle tie (pardon the pun) between a spider web and Japanese rope bondage.

In the book I mention one particular species of tarantula, Haplopelma lividum--the Cobalt Blue. Although beautiful, they're particularly quick and vicious. Here's a great quality video showing a Cobalt Blue snatching up a cricket. The action is over fairly quick, but you can really see incredible detail on the spider.

Are you afraid of spiders? Or are you like me, just a little bit morbidly fascinated by them?

2 comments :

  1. Congrats on your latest release! I'm not afraid of spiders at all. Which means I'm always the one to catch/kill (sorry!) them. Now snakes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind snakes that are tame, but if I were to encounter one in the wild, I'd probably be scared.

    ReplyDelete