February 6, 2009

Artist: Diem Chau

TGIAF (Thank God It's Art Friday)!

You've all used crayons, I'm sure. But I'm also sure you never thought about carving them into miniature three dimensional portraits!

Aren't these amazing? This artist, Diem Chau, a refugee from Vietnam, does some lovely, clean, and simple work with dinnerware and thread that intrigues me. Go to her website to see more. But like last week, looking at art on the internet frustrates me. I feel like I'd get so much more of a grasp on it's intricacies if I could see it in person. But beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, I wanted to display her crayon work today. I think I'd go insane if I had to carve something this tiny. My middle-aged eyes couldn't take the intense concentration this type of carving must require. On the other hand, her raw materials couldn't be cheaper. Must be nice!

If you really love this, of course you can purchase her artwork. If you really really love it, you can commission her to carve you, or someone you love. What a funky Valentine's Day present that would be!

Have a fantastic post-Super Bowl weekend!

5 comments :

  1. Wow! Those are truly amazing!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I love these! I'm off to see more of her work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could just see a toddler, though, snatching up one of these and coloring away a head in her Dora the Explorer coloring book. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool! I wish I could carve things - I've got about a thousand crayons lying around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids (teens, both of 'em) turn their noses up at crayons. I've never been good at 3d things like that.

    ReplyDelete