March 24, 2009

Bagel Jerk

I work at Starbucks. Most of the time customers are really nice. Sometimes, they're...not. I can usually weather the idiots without getting upset. However, once in a while, someone rubs me the wrong way. Bagel Jerk, as I not-so-fondly refer to him as, is one of those people.

A guy comes in and says, "I want two plain bagels."

I say, "I'm sorry, we've sold out of plain bagels. All we have left are the cheese bagels."

He makes a face. "I don't like cheese bagels."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

He continues to complain about how he doesn't like cheese bagels and I tell him again that sometimes we sell out of stuff. He goes on to order several drinks and then he pays. A few customers later, I notice the bagel guy (he was still just a "guy" at that point) is still standing near my register.

"Are you waiting for something else, sir?" I ask.

"My bagels."

My jaw drops. "I thought you didn't want them."

"You mean after all that, you didn't get the bagels???" He looks incredulous and angry. That made two of us.

"I thought you said you didn't like cheese bagels."

"I still wanted them!" he declares, irate.

So, tensely we conduct another transaction, because obviously I didn't make him pay for the bagels when he ordered the first time. He gets his nasty cheese bagels and leaves.

Idiot. When you tell someone you don't like what they have, they're going to assume you don't want to order them. Now when he comes in, I always pray we're sold out of the plain bagels. LOL

Thing is, he came in again yesterday. I hear a little snippet of conversation at the register. I look up to see Bagel Jerk. He's, of course, asking about the plain bagels. Someone has cut all the ones in the case, He wants two bagels, uncut, toasted, with cream cheese, and some drinks. Samantha, who was taking his order, says, "Okay." She knows we have another bag of plain bagels, uncut, behind the counter. They finish the transaction. Then, another partner (at Starbucks we're all called partners) goes to make his bagels, and he says to her, "Oh, you have them uncut?"

"Yes."

Somewhat surprised, he says, "Oh. Well, I really want mine cut and toasted, but I just wanted to see what you would say."

So, he was freakin' TESTING us to see if we'd lie about whether we had them uncut or not. Like maybe we'd sell him the bagels and THEN say, belatedly that we didn't have them uncut after he'd already paid.

Like I said, Bagel JERK.

1 comment :