September 25, 2012

Entertaining Kate #2 - Movie

Hubby and I rented Albert Nobbs the other night. I loved it. First, because it was a period piece, and I love the costumes and sets that go with historicals, especially since they go to a lot of trouble these days to remain true to the time. Like remember Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra? I remember that looking so sixties!

Here's a short blurb.

Albert Nobbs struggles to survive in late 19th century Ireland, where women aren't encouraged to be independent. Posing as a man, so she can work as a butler in Dublin's most posh hotel, Albert meets a handsome painter and looks to escape the lie she has been living.

I don't usually find myself caring so much about a character, but there was something about this woman that made me want her to be happy. At first, I was just curious to find out why she was posing as a man. I also wanted to find out why she was saving all that money. (Not a spoiler, you find that out pretty quickly.) By the time the painter arrives on the scene, I'm hooked. The actor who plays that painter is AMAZING.

I also really appreciated the fact that the gay agenda wasn't being forced down my throat, as is so often the case. (And don't get me wrong. I support many of the gay issues. My oldest son is gay. But I don't agree with everything the GLBT juggernaut stands for and it annoys me when they use entertainment to try to manipulate me into believing in this or that.)

Anyway, this is a great movie. I would watch it again, and I don't say that about many movies.

No comments :

Post a Comment