May 1, 2009

Weekly Wrap-Up #2: Gimme Popcorn!

TGIF! This week's wrap-up topic is The Movies.

In the past week have you gone to the movie theatre? Yes.

If so, what did you see? Hubby and I got away to see State of Play with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck. I liked it. I expected another governmental military cover-up story, of which I'm somewhat tired, but it wasn't. I liked that it gave the audience credit for having a brain. Helen Mirrin was excellent as usual. I just love her. Ever see Calendar Girls? LOVED that one. She's hilarious in it.

Do you frequently see movies in theatres or wait until they are out on DVD or TV? We usually wait. Movies are so expensive these days.

Have you ever gone to a movie during its opening? Did you wait in line? Do you get excited for movie openings? Yes. I saw Star Wars The Phantom Menace. There was a line. We drank hot chocolate from a thermos. I was teaching full time then and some of my colleagues and I went to the Too Goddamn Early showing and we drank hot chocolate from a thermos while we waited. Afterward, we went to breakfast and then staggered in like zombies to work. The act of going with my friends was more fun than the movie, which I thought was sub-par. I will sometimes get excited about movie openings, but usually wait to see them. I don't like fighting crowds.

Your turn...

In the past week have you gone to the movie theatre? If so, what did you see?
Do you frequently see movies in theatres or wait until they are out on DVD or TV?
Have you ever gone to a movie during its opening? Did you wait in line? Do you get excited for movie openings?

6 comments :

  1. I love the movies! Before kids, we saw everything the weekend it opened! Now...I'm lucky if I get to the theater a few times a month. Haven't been to the movies this past week, but we're planning to go this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never go to movies. I get excited when I see new ones coming out, then can't wait for them to be on DVD so I can rent them. By then, I've forgotten what I wanted to see in the first place. Am I the only one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah. I forget what movies have come out, too. We subscribe to Blockbuster online so we get DVDs in the mail, but recently I realized there were no "new" releases on it. I had to go to an actual Blockbuster and walk around the perimeter to write down all the ones we'd missed in the theater. There were a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Movie going has really gone down for me since leaving California. Maybe it is a coastal thing!

    I love the theatre. I love to sit there in the dark and suspend disbelief. I'm much more likely to think a movie is good if I watch it on the bigscreen because of the happiness of the whole experience. Openings are a bit too much though. I went to the midnight opening of the Phantom Menace as well! It was finals week and a bunch of teachers decided we'd go. I was dead tired and fell asleep during the light saber battles which I felt were over-choreographed. :)

    But *sigh*, hubby is a DVD person. And even more than that, he likes to watch the same favorites over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I fell asleep in the Jar Jar Binks one. Was that Phantom Menace?

    ReplyDelete