May 15, 2009

Weekly Wrap-Up #4: Research

This week's wrap-up topic is researching.

Did you do any sort of research in the last week? Yes, my brother and his wife are now writers for Examiner.com in Dallas. I'm interested in doing that for L.A., so I was researching what's involved and what topic I might take up. Since there are already a couple of Food Examiners for Los Angeles, I may try to specialize and be the Coffee Examiner.

Was it for work or play? Work. Apparently you get paid per click on your articles.

Learn anything you’d care to share? Some of the Examiners out there are not publishing articles within their topic. For instance, there were a couple of One Pot Meal Examiners that wrote about dishes that weren't complete meals, which is the whole point of One Pot Meals--that you don't have a bunch of dishes to clean afterward. Also, while researching a local coffee roaster, I cried when I read an account of how his beloved brother passed away from cancer.

Do you have a hunger for knowledge or are you more passive? I love learning stuff. I can easily get carried away for hours researching.
Do you like the learning (aka school?) I loved school. That's probably why I eventually became a teacher. If I had the time and money, I'd so go back to college and get a second degree. I would love to learn how to speak Italian.

Your turn!
Did you do any sort of research in the last week?
Was it for work or play?
Learn anything you’d care to share?
Do you have a hunger for knowledge or are you more passive?
Do you like the learning (aka school?)

4 comments :

  1. No research for me this week, but I do love to learn new things. The problem is I've got a terrible memory so often forget what I've learned. :) I've often thought about going back to school too. Isn't it funny how when we're young we can't wait to get out of school and then when we're older we wouldn't mind being back in it?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny, Robin. Life is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I researched (or I suppose re-researched) pitching for a coffee talk for my local chapter. I learned that people shouldn't put as much pressure on themselves as they do over an agent/editor pitch.

    I'm hungry for knowledge and the best way for me to learn has always been in a class-like setting. I'd love to go to cooking school -- but, wow, is it expensive! I'll stick to the weekend warrior classes they offer here and there since I don't want to be a professional chef. I just want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd LOVE to go to cooking school. They have vacations like that. Sometimes on cruises, they have classes in the kitchens.

    ReplyDelete